Rust is one of the most difficult stains to remove. Using a combination of salt and lemon juice to remove rust is a safe, environmentally-friendly and effective way to get rid of a rust stain, whether on a surface or on an article of clothing.
Things You'll Need
- Salt (enough to completely cover the stain)
- Lemon juice (enough to completely cover the stain)
Mix salt and lemon juice in a bowl. Add enough lemon juice so that you create a thick paste.
Spread the paste onto the rusty surface with a dry cloth and let it sit for half an hour. If you are removing rust from an article of clothing, lay the clothing on a flat surface and spread the mixture on the stain.
Rinse the area with cool water. If the rust stain is still there, apply a fresh coat of salt mixture. You may need to repeat these steps for several hours before the rust is gone.
Tips & Warnings
- Lime juice can be used in place of lemon juice.
- If you are removing rust from a tougher surface, you can scrape it away with a brush or scrubber.
- Sometimes you will need to leave the mixture on the rusty surface overnight or even longer.
- Do not use this method on a delicate piece of clothing, as the lemon juice could damage it.
Salt & Lemon Juice Cleaning
Cleaning with lemon juice and salt can help you reduce the chemical cleaners you use in your home. The grains of salt...
How to Clean Brass With Lemon Juice, Vinegar & Salt
Brass is a durable metal that holds its appearance with little maintenance required on your part. To keep the brass clean and...
Removing Rust From Iron
In order to remove rust from iron, use a mixture that consists of equal parts vegetable oil and salt. Wash iron wish...