Mold can be a big problem in any house. Today's houses may actually foster developmend of mold because energy-efficient air-tight contruction allows water to get trapped and build up in some areas. While maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help protect you, anyone can get sick from exposure to mold, especially if they are exposed to it long term. You should watch out for certain symptoms and check your home for mold at the same time.
Know if you suffer from any conditions like bronchitis, heart problems or allergies; these can make you more susceptible to illness from mold. Small children, pregnant women, people over 60 and those who spend more than 12 hours a day at home also can be affected.
Plan on leaving your house for an extended period of time; this can involve staying at a friend or relative's for a few days or taking a vacation. See if any of your symptoms improve during your stay away from the house.
Test your house for mold to make sure it's a likely cause. If you can't get it done professionally, there are multiple mold test kits available at any home improvement store or from other vendors. The best tests measure air quality, but there are others that will test your home's surfaces.
Look for dry coughing. This is the number one symptom of sickness form mold and one of the earliest symptoms to notice. Others include sneezing, congestion, runny nose, watery eyes and breathing difficulties.
Keep watch for subtle conditions, especially if you don't often suffer from them. These can include dizziness, headaches and fatigue, along with skin conditions like rashes and dermatitis. These can come from immediate exposure to a high level of mold or a combination with allergies.
Beware of more serious conditions that can result from long-term effects of mold exposure. These can include loss of eyesight, hearing and memory, along with chronic headaches and even seizures.