Homemade salsa is easy to make and a healthy addition to a meal or party table. You can make your salsa sauce chunky or smooth, depending on the style you prefer. Make salsa a couple of hours before you need it, or prepare it the day before to let the flavors blend.
Things You'll Need
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 4-oz. can green chilies
- 16-oz. glass bowl or measuring cup
- Cutting board
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
- Food processor
Empty the can of diced tomatoes and the can of green chilies into the glass bowl.
Dice the onion into quarter-inch pieces. Add the diced onion to the tomatoes and chilies.
Peel and finely chop the garlic. Add the chopped garlic to the mixture.
Stir the lime juice, lemon juice, salt and pepper into the other ingredients.
Reserve one-fourth of the salsa mixture. Pour the other three-fourths into the food processor and process until smooth.
Return the processed salsa to the bowl and stir together the smooth salsa with the chunky salsa.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
Tips & Warnings
- Let salsa chill overnight to allow the flavors to mingle.
- Use chopped jalapenos for added heat.
- Make two batches of salsa for a party--one mild and one hot.
- If you prefer using fresh tomatoes, Ellie Krieger, of the Food Network's "Healthy Appetite," suggests using large plum tomatoes that have been cored and seeded.
- Avoid touching your eyes while handling onions, garlic and chilies, and wash your hands afterward.
- This recipe is meant to be consumed within 2 to 3 days.
- Photo Credit All photos by Loretta Snyder
What Is the Difference Between Salsa & Picante Sauce?
Salsa simply means sauce in Spanish. Recipes for salsa vary considerably and include such differences as using tomatillos or tomatoes, fresh or...
The Difference Between Chili Sauce & Salsa
Sometimes the question arises whether chili sauce can be substituted in recipes for salsa, and vice versa. The truth is that while...
How to Make Your Own Green Tomatillo Salsa
Who knew making restaurant-quality salsa at home would be this easy? A few simple ingredients makes a great salsa.
How to Make Easy 5 Ingredient Fresh Salsa
A dipping sauce for chips and compliment to spicy Mexican dishes, a basic salsa can be whipped together in minutes. Most of...
How to Thicken Fresh Salsa
Of the many different recipes for salsa, each yields salsa that has a different consistency. It can be difficult to achieve the...
Chili Sauce Substitutes
Chili sauce is a condiment with various uses. It usually consists of tomatoes, spices, sugar, onions and peppers. Bottled varieties may also...