A tartare is a dish of chopped and lightly seasoned raw meat or fish usually served alongside slices of crisp toast. When sushi grade salmon is lightly dressed in a simple sauce, the result is a sophisticated appetizer or a light meal ready to be enjoyed with a glass of dry white wine.
Things You'll Need
- 1 1/2 lb sushi grade or previously frozen salmon with the skin removed
- 4 tbsp. finely chopped red onions or shallots
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp. coarsely chopped capers
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Cut the salmon into small cubes (approximately 1/4 inch thick) and place in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix together the chopped shallots, chopped dill, parsley, capers, lemon juice and the mayonnaise. Season the mixture with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Place approximately one to two tablespoons of the mayonnaise mixture in the middle of a serving plate. Surround the mayonnaise mixture with approximately 1/4 cup of the refrigerated salmon.
Serve with toasted baguette slices