For a quick weeknight meal or a late-night snack, try some spaghetti aglio e olio, or spaghetti with garlic and olive oil. Commonly enjoyed in Italy, this simple pasta sauce is fragrant yet light, and easy to throw together as it calls for ingredients that you may already have in your pantry.
Things You'll Need
- 1 lb. dried imported Italian spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp. crushed dried hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp. salt
Bring about 6 quarts of water in a large pot to a rapid boil on high heat. Once boiling, add the dried spaghetti and 1/2 tbsp. salt. Cook until the pasta is tender yet chewy, about 11 minutes.
Place the olive oil, garlic, crushed red pepper and 1 tbsp. of salt in a large unheated skillet before heating the skillet over medium heat. Cook until the garlic becomes tender and turns a pale golden color.
Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet, coating the noodles with the sauce. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Tips & Warnings
- Use the freshest garlic possible for the optimum flavor.
- Degerm the garlic cloves if necessary as the germs can be hard to digest.
- When cooking the garlic, make sure it doesn't burn as burnt garlic tastes bitter.
- Whole wheat spaghetti can substitute for the regular spaghetti.
- Chopped fresh herbs such as basil, rosemary, oregano, thyme or sage can be used to replace the parsley.
- Use imported pasta from Italy if possible--it tends to have a better mouth feel than the domestically produced variety.
- Photo Credit Eising/Photodisc/Getty Images
How to Roast Spaghetti Squash
An easy tutorial on how to cut, de-seed, and roast spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash makes for a delicious and healthy gluten-free meal!
How to Make Plum Sauce
Plum sauce comes in many variations, most a play on sweet or savory, and with a little time is very easy to...
How to make a delicious Olive Oil and Garlic Pasta Dish
**Start to Finish:** 20 minutes **Servings:** 4 to 6 **Difficulty Level:** Beginner Serve it as a side dish, main course or to...
How to Cook Spaghetti
Cooking perfect spaghetti is not difficult, but it does require some attention and precision. You might also have to unlearn some common...
How to Make Spaghetti Noodles
Spaghetti shouldn't be intimidating. Here's a simple way to make perfect pasta in four easy steps.
How to Precook Spaghetti for a Large Crowd
Spaghetti is an ideal dish to make for large crowds as it's generally inexpensive and it can be made in advance as...