Benzoyl peroxide is a compound commonly used in creams or lotions that are used to prevent or control acne. According to DoctorGoodSkin.com, antioxidants are compounds used to neutralize the free radicals produced by oxidants, which are known to cause damage to skin cells. The most common antioxidants are Vitamin A, alpha-lipoic acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin E. Benzoyl peroxide is an oxidant--its oxidizing effect penetrates the pores and attacks the bacteria that cause acne. If an antioxidant is used at the same time as an oxidant such as benzoyl peroxide, they will neutralize each other and neither will work properly.
Things You'll Need
- Face cleanser
- Acne cream or lotion with benzoyl peroxide
- Cream or lotion with antioxidants
Clean your face with a face cleanser just before going to bed every night. Pat dry with a towel.
Apply the acne cream or lotion containing benzoyl peroxide to your face, following the instructions on the package. Allow the benzoyl peroxide to work overnight.
Clean your face with a face cleanser every morning. Pat your face dry with a towel.
Apply the face cream or lotion containing antioxidants to your face.
Tips & Warnings
- The concentration of benzoyl peroxide in any lotion or cream can be 2 percent to 10 percent in non-prescription products, as required by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- The amount of benzoyl peroxide you should use depends on how much it irritates your skin and how much acne you have. In general, start with a lower concentration and increase as necessary.
- Do not use normal soap to clean your face, as it will dry out your skin, and your skin will likely respond by producing excessive oils, which could lead to more acne.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Pixland/Getty Images
Why Is Benzoyl Peroxide Bad for Your Skin?
Although it is a popular choice for treating some dermatological conditions, benzoyl peroxide can have a negative impact on the skin, particularly...
Benzoyl Peroxide for a Dog
Benzoyl peroxide is an anti-bacterial preparation that also eliminates oiliness. It is beneficial to humans as well as dogs for certain skin...
Benzoyl Peroxide Shampoo for Dogs
Benzoyl peroxide shampoo for dogs has many practical uses. The antibacterial properties of benzoyl peroxide makes this formula useful in treating skin...
Does Benzoyl Peroxide Cause Wrinkles?
Acne, caused by bacteria in the skin and often aggravated by an overactive immune system, is usually extremely irritating as an adult,...
How to Use Benzoyl Peroxide for Acne
Benzoyl peroxide is one of several drugs that can treat acne. It comes in creams and cleansers that reduce the amount of...