While iTunes allows you to subscribe to and delete podcasts from your iPod, by default, it erases podcasts that you've listened to after you sync your iPod with your computer. Unless you mark a podcast as "unread," iTunes will delete it. If you wish to transfer a podcast to a computer, you can download and install one of the many free iPod managers compatible with your specific iPod and that supports iPod-to-computer file transfers.
Things You'll Need
- iPod-compatible software
- iPod computer connection cable
Download and install an iPod manager program (not iTunes). Appropriate programs include Yamipod, SharePod, Winamp, or other managers that support podcasts and permit iPod-to-computer transfers.
Connect your iPod to your computer via the iPod's USB cable.
Close iTunes if it automatically opens when an iPod is connected.
Open your newly installed iPod manager.
Navigate to your iPod's library or the podcast directory. This process will vary according to the program you are using.
Find the podcast you wish to transfer to the computer.
Right-click on the podcast, then select "Copy to computer." You may also drag the file from the iPod manager software and drop it onto the desktop.
Repeat this process for each podcast you wish to copy.
Tips & Warnings
- In some applications, you can hold down the "Ctrl" key while clicking to selectively highlight more than one podcast or "Shift" while clicking to highlight a group of podcasts.
- You can also transfer other files from your iPod by using an iTunes alternative.
- Check the program's known issues prior to using the program, especially if you plan to use iTunes to manage your iPod. Some programs can cause problems when switching back and forth between the program and iTunes.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/liquidlibrary/Getty Images
How to Transfer Your Purchased Songs to an iPod
The iPod is an MP3 player device that has revolutionized the way we listen to music. An iPod comes with an installation...
How Do I Transfer iTunes From One PC to Another?
iTunes is the multimedia player created by Apple, Inc. Its most common use is playing music files and syncing with the iPod,...
How to Transfer iTunes to an iPod
An iTunes file is simply an audio or video file that you have manually added to the iTunes library, ripped from a...
How to Transfer Podcasts From Your iPhone to the Computer
With the iTunes Store mobile application, users can download media like music, videos and podcasts directly to their iPhones. Apple also makes...