Nurses are often required to earn a certain number of CEUs (continuing education units) to maintain their license or satisfy their employer's continuing education requirements. Several websites offer free CEUs for nurses who read a presentation and pass an online post test.
Things You'll Need
- Internet access
- Paper to print certificates
Access the internet and visit one of the sites listed below in resources. Topics vary widely, but you should find at least one topic of interest to you.
Register at the site. Registering is usually necessary to gain access to the continuing education area and by registering you ensure your name is printed on the certificate of completion.
Read the education presentation carefully. Think of key points and how the article could be summarized. Don't prepare too much though; most sites allow the user to retake the test if they don't pass the first time.
Most presentations require an evaluation or a post test. Submit the evaluation or pass the post test and print out your certificate or wait for the certificate to be mailed, if applicable.
Tips & Warnings
- Try to find articles that interest you, preferably ones applicable to your specialty.
- Make sure the continuing education is targeted for nurses. Some courses only offer credit for doctors or select groups of allied health professionals.
- Photo Credit http://www.clipsahoy.com/occupations/health/health4.htm
- Medscape CME for nurses: many topics, amount of credit varies
- Nellcor offers 5 1 hour courses
- NICU University offers several courses for up to 1 credit
- AHRQ M&M rounds on the web offers several opportunities
- Sigma Theta Tau International offers several courses, including one for 6 credit hours
- Atrium has a 1.6 hour class on managing chest drainage
- John Hopkins presents neonatal courses
- RN.com offers 1 free 1 hour course
- Nursing Spectrum offers a couple free courses
No Test Continuing Education for Nurses
Some states require nurses to complete continuing education credits during each license renewal cycle to keep their licenses in good standing. Some...
Nursing CEU Requirements in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania law requires all registered in-state nurses to complete at least 30 hours of continuing education units (CEU) to achieve eligibility for...