Clear coat is a substance made of polyester or acrylic that is sprayed on to cars after they have been painted to make the paint shiny and to harden it. This will usually be applied to the wheels and any other chrome or aluminum surfaces as well. Over time, the clear coat on these surfaces can become dull, peeled or streaked and will need to be removed.
Things You'll Need
- Clear-coat remover
- Garden hose with spray nozzle
- Car soap
- Towel or chamois leather
Fill a bucket with car soap and water. Use a washcloth to thoroughly clean the part of the car that you will be removing the clear coat from. Rinse with the garden hose.
Dry the area thoroughly with a towel or chamois.
Apply a generous coating of clear-coat remover with a paintbrush and allow it to sit for several minutes until you see that the clear coat has been lifted off the surface.
Rinse the area thoroughly with the garden hose and spray nozzle.
Dry the part thoroughly with the towel or chamois.
Tips & Warnings
- Some clear-coat removers come with spray bottles that make them easier to apply; however, you will have to deal with excess spray getting on other surfaces.
- Work in a shaded area to prevent the clear-coat remover from drying out.
- If some areas of clear coat are stubborn or stuck on, you may need to use the remover a second time on those areas or buff the areas with a scuff pad while the remover is on the surface.
- Keep the clear coat remover off painted surfaces because it will remove the paint as well. This may be easier to do by simply removing the part you are working on from the car.
- Avoid working on days with high humidity as this may make the clear-coat remover less effective.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Remove Clear Coat Peeling Paint
Clear coat is the clear layer of polyurethane that is applied over stains and paint to give a glossy finish to hardwood...
How to Remove Clear Coat off of Fiberglass
Clear coat is a plastic painting material used to coat surfaces to protect them and add luster to their finish. Clear coat...
How to Clear Coat Your Car
A clear coat on a car gives it a new, fresh look, and it protects the paint job from the elements. If...
How to Remove a Flaking Clear Coat
Clear coat is a coating applied to chrome -- usually car, motorcycle and bike components -- to protect metal from rust damage....
How to Remove Clear Coat From Headlights
Headlights don't have a clear coat on them from the factory, but it is sometimes applied to protect the headlights. In most...