Start to Finish: 15 minutesServings: 15 to 20Difficulty: Beginner
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Food coloring (optional)
- Mix the cream cheese until it is smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and stir until everything is fully incorporated.
- Stir in the peppermint extract.
- Shape the dough into small balls and flatten them to make the mints. You also may roll out the dough and use miniature cookie cutters to cut out the mints in different shapes.
While they should be refrigerated immediately, these soft mints will harden slightly on the outside after an hour or so, even in the fridge. This helps them retain their shape but be soft on the inside.
Variations & Storage
Keep these soft mints refrigerated for up to a week. The sooner they're eaten, however, the better they taste. You also may use spearmint or winter mint extract instead of peppermint to vary the taste. Other extracts such as vanilla, almond or fruit may be used as well, although that turns the mints into soft candies more than actual mints. Serve the mints on their own or use them as decorative additions to other desserts.