Dehydration is one of the oldest forms of preserving the harvest of fruits and vegetables. While earlier cultures used the sun, today most fruit drying is done in an electric dehydrator. Most fruits and vegetables can be dried for later use, and the seedless grape is no exception. The dried grape is better known as a raisin, and seedless varieties of grapes are the preferred type of grape to dry.
Things You'll Need
- Seedless grapes
- Slotted spoon or colander
Wash and stem seedless grapes under cool, running water.
Fill a large saucepan or stockpot half full of water and bring to a boil.
Dip the grapes into the boiling water for 30 seconds to break the skins. Use a slotted spoon to remove the grapes from the water or drain through a colander.
Place the grapes in single, even layers on dehydrator trays.
Dry the grapes in the dehydrator for 12 to 24 hours or until the centers are free of moisture.
Tips & Warnings
- If the grapes are too large to fit in the dehydrator trays, you can slice the grapes in half. Soak the cut grapes in a solution of 1 cup lemon juice and 1 cup water for 10 minutes. Drain the grapes through a colander and dry as normal.
- Raisins can be made with any variety or color of seedless grapes.
- Grapes with seeds can be used also, but the seeds must be pressed out of the dried grape before storage. This leads to stickiness and the raisins will clump together in storage.
- Store raisins in airtight containers. Canning jars with lids and rings are a good choice, as are clean, empty gallon jars with lids.
- Raisins will store for up to one year, or more, if kept in a cool, dry place.
- Photo Credit Ablestock.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
How to Make Raisins
Centuries ago, farmers discovered that they could preserve an overabundant fruit harvest by drying it. The taste of many fruits, such as...
How to Dry Concord Grapes
Concord grapes are delicious right off the vine, or you can crush them to make juice and jelly. If your Concord grape...
How to Refresh Dried Fruits: Raisins
Dried fruit can be a delicious, healthy snack and an essential ingredient in some recipes. However, some recipes require the dried fruit...
How to Dry Blueberries in a Dehydrator
Drying blueberries in a food dehydrator has several benefits. The blueberries can be purchased in-season, when they are at their lowest yearly...
How to Turn a Grape Into a Raisin
Seedless grapes make the best raisins since they are soft and tender with no hard seeds inside. Green grapes make lighter-colored raisins,...