RCI offers pre-paid vacation packages to members that allow them to purchase time in resorts and hotels worldwide in exchange for offering the members savings on vacation packages. The time is allotted in terms of “weeks” and “points.” RCI allows members to trade their RCI points for discounts on cruise packages. Calling RCI and speaking with a representative is the best way, according to RCI, to use your RCI points towards a cruise rather than hotel or resort lodgings.
Things You'll Need
- RCI membership
- Internet connection (optional)
Log on to the Internet and visit the CruiseRCI.com website. Browse the various cruises available through their website to get a feel for the type of cruise you may want to take. You might even narrow your choice down by location, cruise line, and length of the cruise.
Call member services and follow the prompts to allow you to speak to a cruise specialist. They will be able to give you all the details about each cruise line and any group discounts or special offers each cruise may be offering.
Tell the representative that you want to trade between 10,000 and 40,000 RCI points towards a discount off your chosen cruise. Discounts will vary depending on the cruise line, dates chosen, and the cabin type. A cruise specialist recently advised that members will see the greatest discounts on "dream-type vacations... Ideally the member will see a larger discount on say, a penthouse suite, rather than a normal cabin.” A standard international exchange fee of $194 applies for trading your points for a cruise. That price is the same regardless of the price or type of your cruise.
Summarize the details of your chosen cruise with your cruise specialist prior to providing a payment method. RCI accepts all forms of major credit cards including Discover and Diner’s Club cards. You will need to pay a deposit to hold your cruise although you have the option of paying in full at this time. The deposit varies depending on the cruise line, cabin type, dates, and other factors. In most cases, you will be expected to pay the remaining balance approximately 75 days prior to the cruise departure.
Log into your email once you’ve made your purchase. RCI will send you a confirmation email confirming your purchase, paid deposit, itinerary and further directions you should keep for your records.
Tips & Warnings
- Your representative will give you their direct extension both over the phone and in the email so you may deal directly with that person going forward for all details concerning your cruise prior to departure. If you do not have Internet access, you are more than welcome to call RCI member services directly. Spend as much time as you need with the representative.
- According to the CruiseRCI.com website, members can also get discounts off their cruises by utilizing a free perks program that any RCI member can participate in whether they own points or weeks. More information can be found at the perks portion of the RCI website (see the Reference section at the end of this article).
- If you do not have a minimum of 10,000 points, you will not be able to trade the points for a cruise.
- Photo Credit Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images
RCI Resort Information
Resort Condominium International is the world's largest network of exchange vacations. The company sells real estate to people who wish to have...
How to Use RCI Points for Airfare
According to RCI, it works with 300 airline partners so that its members can exchange points for airline travel. RCI reports that...
How to Convert a Timeshare to RCI Points Cheaply
Anyone who owns a timeshare can use RCI points. RCI is a program in which you can earn points for depositing your...
- How to Renew My RCI Points Account
RCI Cruise & Resort Vacations
RCI is a network that offers access to timeshare units in various resorts and cruises. Timeshares refer to condominium or suite units...