Dark eye circles are upsetting, to say the least. Dark circles make you look tired, old, and worn out. Chamomile is often mentioned as a home remedy for under eye circles, and most home herbalists will tell you to put a couple of cool chamomile tea bags on your eyes and rest for ten minutes. While this probably won't hurt and may even help liven up your eyes and reduce dark circles, there is a better way to deliver dark circle relief: through chamomile essential oil, properly applied. It's been recommended by herbalists for dark eye circles for more than 400 years, so in alternative medicine chamomile essential oil is thought to cure under eye circles. According to AuraCacia.com, chamomile is a lightly scented essential oil that calms and relaxes, and EsotericOils.com adds that it is also an analgesic and anti-inflammatory.
Things You'll Need
- Organic chamomile essential oil
- Carrier oil such as almond oil
Purchase a supply of 100 percent organic chamomile essential oil from a trusted supplier. I recommend visiting MountainRoseHerbs.com (link in the resources section below), but you should choose the supplier you like. While you're there, also purchase a supply of carrier oil such as almond oil.
Blend 1 tablespoon carrier oil with 2 drops of chamomile oil in a small brown glass container. This is the starting recipe; if it's not strong enough, add more chamomile in 2 drop increments. Essential oils are powerful-don't overdo, especially on sensitive dark eye skin!
Apply the oil mixture to your dark eye circles area in the evening right before going to sleep. Always apply to a completely clean face, and if you usually use lotion or other eye cream at night avoid putting it on your dark circles. Eye cream interferes with the essential oil.
Brew a warm cup of chamomile tea to help you fall peacefully asleep. Keep the used tea bags in the fridge to apply to your dark eye circles during the day if you like!
Tips & Warnings
- Be patient with this treatment. You will probably not look like a supermodel after the first application, but over time chamomile essential oil will reduce dark circles under the eyes.
- Do drink a cup of chamomile tea before going to bed. It helps calm the nerves and promotes peaceful sleep.
- Chamomile is a member of the ragweed family. If you're allergic to ragweed, don't try this remedy near your eyes.
- Never apply undiluted essential oil to your eye circles. Always use a carrier oil.
Uses of Almond for Dark Circles
Almonds are seen by many as a miracle of nature. They are well-enjoyed in the food world. However, they also play a...
Almond Oil for Eye Bags
Almond oil comes from almond kernels and contains a variety of vitamins and nutrients. It is rich in protein, which helps relieve...