Bath salts and soaks are often part of a spa experience that brings relief to aching muscles. You can bring that experience home with homemade salts to add to your bathtub. Mix in your favorite fragrance oil for a little aromatherapy touch. Scoop the salts into a jar, place it in a basket with some votive candles and a bath sponge or loofah, and you have a personalized gift as well.
Things You'll Need
- 4 cups Epsom salts
- 2 cups sea salt
- 6 tbsp. glycerins (optional)
- Fragrance oil
Mix the salts together thoroughly.
Stir in the glycerin, distributing it evenly. Using your hands makes this easier.
Add the fragrance oil, two to three drops at a time, until you are satisfied with the intensity of the scent.
Pour about 1/2 cup of the mixed salts under the faucet as you draw a warm bath.
Store extra salts in an airtight, non-metallic container.
Tips & Warnings
- Add one to two drops of food coloring to tint your bath salts.
- Glycerin helps soothe dry skin, but it is not essential in the bath salts. If you prefer, omit it and use only the salts and fragrance oil.
- Blend fragrance oils to create a personal scent. A combination of lavender and vanilla provides a calming scent, while peppermint or citrus oils, mixed together or with vanilla, are invigorating.
- Mix the same fragrance blend with an unscented body lotion or with equal parts water and vodka for a body spray and lotion for scent layering.
- Some fragrance oils will react to metallic containers, so choose glass or plastic for storing extra bath salts.
- Care 2 Make a Differnce; 13 Wonderful Ways to Use Epsom Salts; Annie Bond; December 2010
- Salt Works: Making Bath Salts
- Sophie's Soaps; Gifts You Can Make: Handmade Bath Salts and Soaks; December 2010
- Martha Stewart; Homemade Bath Salts; May 2004
- Natural Skin Care Recipes: Bath Soak Recipes
- Homemade Gifts Made Easy:Making Bath Salts -- Epsom Bath Salt Recipes
- Photo Credit BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images
How to Make Citrus Bath Soak
If your muscles are sore after working out in the yard, or you feel as though you are coming down with a...
How to Make Bath Salts & Ingredients
The method for making bath salts at home is very simple—essentially it involves nothing more than measuring and combining a few basic...
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
A homemade bubble bath recipe consists of a white bar of soap, chopped finely, a quarter cup of honey, a half cup...
Homemade Bath Soak for Sore Muscles
You can relax your muscles the way professionals do, without a trip to the sports or physical therapist and without spending a...