Creative writing is enjoyable for writers of all genres. Other than those who are seeking to publish books of poetry or novels, creative writing hasn't always been immediately thought of as the most profitable means to make money with online writing. However, there are several key areas where creative writing can, indeed, be highly profitable.
Things You'll Need
- Writing Resume
- Time and Inspiration
Sign up for websites which pay you as a freelancer for your creative writing. Most of these type of websites pay based on an ad revenue sharing program and/or by the amount of traffic you bring in to each creative writing piece that you write. Some of the best sites for this are Triond.com, AssociatedContent.com and Squidoo.com.
Create your own writing platform with the use of blogs and independent websites which you create from scratch yourself. None of these are difficult to do. Other than respecting your hosts TOS agreement, you answer to nobody but yourself. You can make money through your creative writing in these platforms by inserting ads through Google Adsense and the inclusion of affiliate links. Affiliate links can be found in a vast array of places but Clickbank.com, shareasale.com and Amazon.com are some of the most popular in use at present. Many businesses and product owners have affiliate programs which you can independently apply for as well.
Enter creative writing contests. There is absolutely no shortage of contests available for creative writing artists. Short or long pieces, fiction or non-fiction, there are contests to cover it all. Some are free to enter while others may have small entry fees associated with them. Not only do many creative writing contests offer cash prizes but winning these contests are a great way of boosting your freelance writing portfolio.
Create a creative writing profile on websites such as guru.com and elance.com so potential employers can find you and samples of your creative writing pieces in order to hire you for specific projects. This can be highly profitable as well as serving as a great way to promote existing works.
Tips & Warnings
- The copyright to this article is owned by Janet Ford. Permission to republish this article in print or online must be granted by the author in writing.
- Consider taking creative writing courses in order to make yourself more marketable and learn valuable skills that will enable you to make more money.
- Creative writing distance learning is possible. You do not need to attend traditional creative writing colleges if you would prefer online courses.
- Create a freelance writing resume and keep it current. You never know when you will want to submit it somewhere.
- Use caution when picking contests to enter, especially if there is an entry fee involved. Always read the fine print!
- Photo Credit Photo from: http://www.dreamstime.com/res401038-high-resolution