How to Get a Certified Copy of Your Passport


The Passport Services branch of the U.S. Department of State keeps records of all passport applications and supporting documentation from 1925 to the present. If you need a certified copy of your passport, you can make a written request to the State Department and submit a certification fee.

Written Requirement

  • Write a request for your certified passport copy that includes your name, address, phone number, email address, date and place of birth and the year your passport was issued. If you aren't sure of the exact year, note that you are listing an approximate year. Include the passport number if you happen to know it. You'll also need to submit a clear copy of government-issued identification, such as your driver's license. Sign the request and have it notarized. Mail it with your certification fee ($50 at time of publication) to: U.S. Department of State, Law Enforcement Liaison Division, CA/PPT/S/L/LE, 1150 Passport Services Place, 4th Floor, Dulles, VA 20189-1150. Their phone number is 202-485-6550.

Passports Before 1925

  • If you need a certified copy of a passport that was issued before 1925, you'll need to contact the National Archives. Their address is National Archives and Records Administration, Archives 1, Reference Branch 8th & Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20408. You can also email them at or call them at 1-866-325-7208 for specific instructions.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit Eldad Carin/iStock/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!