When you are not at home or the office, an answering machine records messages from all of the callers you miss. GE manufactures several different models of answering machines. An important part of setting up your answering machine is to record your greeting. The greeting lets the caller know he dialed the right number, or you can use it to pass on information, such as when you will be available to call back. Though GE has many different answering machine models with different features, the process for recording the greeting is similar among all models.
Write down the greeting you want to leave on the machine. If you don't want to write out the entire greeting, make a list of what you want included in the greeting. By planning out the greeting ahead of time, you will ensure you don't leave out any information.
Press and hold the "Greeting" button until you hear a beep. Do not release the button once you the beep sounds. The button must be held down throughout the recording process. Some GE models have an "Announce" button in place of a "Greeting" button.
Record the greeting. Speak slowly and clearly to ensure your callers will understand what you are saying when they call.
Release the "Greeting" button when you are finished recording your greeting.
Tips & Warnings
- You can listen to your greeting by quickly pressing and releasing the "Greeting" button. If you are unhappy with your greeting, repeat Steps 2 to 4.
- Your GE answering machine may support more than one greeting. The buttons are marked "Greeting A" and "Greeting B." Follow Steps 1 to 4 to record greetings on both buttons.
- "GE Digital Answer-Phone 2-9827 User's Guide;" Thomson Consumer Electronics, Inc.; 1996
- "GE Digital Answerer 2-9868 User's Guide;" Thomson Consumer Electronics, Inc.; 1998
- "GE Model 29869 Digital Answerer User's Guide;" Thomson Inc.; 2007
How to use a GE Answering Machine
By the beginning of the 21st century, many people had ditched answering machines in favor of voice mail provided by their phone...
How to Troubleshoot a GE Answering Machine
In addition to its range of home appliances, General Electric offers several answering machine models. If you have trouble with your GE...
GE Digital Messaging System Instructions
GE digital messaging systems, better known as answering machines, records messages from callers when you are not at home or when you...