Navy beans are small legumes that are actually a light cream color. Their name stems from the fact that the beans are often used by the United States Navy. If you purchase dried navy beans in a bag, they require a lengthy soaking in water before they become tender. These beans taste more flavorful and tender with a long cooking process, such as in a crock pot, an electrical device that uses a low temperature to slowly warm food.
Things You'll Need
- 1 lb. bag of dried navy beans
- 6 cups water
- Crock pot
Pour a 1 lb. bag of dried navy beans into a colander. Place the colander into your sink and run the beans under cold water to remove any outer surface grime.
Transfer the rinsed navy beans into your crock pot. Pour in 6 cups of water and stir to ensure all the beans are moistened.
Set your crock pot to high. Cook the navy beans for five hours.
Remove the crock pot lid and stir the beans to determine if they are still hard. Replace the lid and heat them for another hour if they are not yet tender.
Taste the beans to determine if they are flavorful enough for your taste. Add salt and pepper before serving if they taste bland to you.
Tips & Warnings
- Add more flavor to the beans by substituting 3 cups of the water with an equal amount of chicken broth.
- Serve cooked navy beans in salads, soups or on their own as a side dish.
- Always read your slow cooker’s manufacturer directions before use.
- Always make sure your navy beans are covered with liquid while in the slow cooker--if the water or liquid dries out and the beans are cooked dry, they are more likely to burn on the bottom.
Easy to Make Crock-Pot Baked Beans Recipe
Slow cooker baked beans that don't need to be pre-soaked! The only recipe you'll ever need for truly from scratch (no cans)...
How to Make Crock-Pot Beans
**Start to finish:** Up to 12 hours **Servings:** 8 to 10 as an entree, more as a side dish **Difficulty:** Beginner Ancient...
How to Cook Pinto Beans in a Crock Pot
A Crock Pot, a brand name of slow cooker, lets you set a pot of beans on to cook in the morning...
How to Cook Bean Soup With Smoked Pork
Bean soup is a hearty, high fiber, high protein meal that doesn't require you spend a long time in the kitchen. Smoked...