Creating flash cards on your computer can help you, a friend or your child when studying for an exam. Flash card memorization is a popular studying technique, and there are several free services that allow you to create, share and to use flashcards online or to print them out. In order to create flash cards on your computer, you'll need to register for an account and use a flash card-creator website, download and install flash card creator software, or create your own template in your word processor.
Things You'll Need
- Internet access
- Web browser
- Images and data for flash card creation
- Hard disk space
- Word processor
Register for an account at an online flash card website, such as Scholastic's Flash Card Maker, FlashcardExchange, or Flashcard Machine. Web-based flash card creators usually let you share flash cards with other users and to study with other users' flash cards.
Download and install a flash card-creator program such as Cue Creator or IQ Flash Cards. Make sure the software is compatible with your operating system. With dedicated software, you can design and print out flash cards whether online or offline.
Use a word processor to format flash card-sized frames or columns of your choosing. While flash cards are traditionally written on 3-by-5 index cards, you can use whatever configuration works best for you in a word processor.
Tips & Warnings
- Scholastic's Flash Card Maker is free but only allows you to input words or numbers, while FlashCardExchange and FlashCardMachine both offer more robust flash card configurations, such as including images, audio, or chemical formulas.
- Web-based flash card creators are generally cross-platform-compatible, so you can access them whether using Windows, Mac or Linux.
- Creating your own flash card template in a word processor affords you the most freedom in designing flash cards, but it also requires the most initial setup time.
- Check your word processor's templates to see if someone has already built a flash card template.
- Print your flash cards with a full duplex printer, if possible. The printer will print your flash cards on both sides of the paper--without any additional tweaks required on your part.
- Photo Credit BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images
How to Make Flash Cards in Powerpoint
Microsoft Powerpoint, with its individual slide format and simple click and type interface, is perfect for creating flash cards. Each flash card...
How to Make a Business Card with iWork Pages Templates
iWork Pages is a word processing program in Apple's iWork suite of productivity tools. What makes Pages more than a simple word...
Make Flash Cards
Making flash cards in Microsoft Word requires matching flash card templates to store-bought card stock. Make flash cards with a home computer...