Unmarked laptop computers are almost never recovered when stolen. The Department of Public Safety at Brown University reports thousands of stolen laptops each year on their campus alone. Engraving laptops provides a permanent solution where markers or labels tend to wear off with time. Removing the engraving may significantly damage the laptop which decreases the value to thieves. Alone that is enough to keep your computer from being stolen in the first place. Engrave your laptop with your identification plus combine your favorite image for added security with stunning visual results.
Things You'll Need
- 1 computer design (on disc optional)
- Laptop dimensions
- Laser engraving shop
- Engraving pen or etcher (optional)
- Pen or pencil (optional)
Gather your identifying information. Codes, names or numbers that prove you are the rightful owner of your laptop work well. Record your chosen identification and keep in a secure location.
Create your unique design. This design, along with identification only adds proof that this laptop belongs to you. Your design can range from a tattoo, company logo to your own artwork. Put artwork on disc or hand deliver on paper to the engraver.
Measure cover of laptop to be engraved. Record this information for the engraver.
Supply identification and artwork to an engraver. Professional laptop engravers are priced around $150.00. Art and information are etched into the laptop’s actual surface. Photograph the laptop once the engraving is complete
Save money by using an etcher or engraving pen to record your identification yourself. Trace your design on the laptop with a pencil or pen. Etch over the tracing.
Tips & Warnings
- Most Universities will engrave personal identification on laptops at no cost for students.
- Submit a black and white image to create 2 colors. One will be whatever the top cover color is. The second will reflect the color etched underneath the top color.
- Disguise sensitive personal information like social security or driver’s license numbers to avoid identity theft.
- Some plastic cased laptops can not be engraved on the outside cover.
- Photo Credit Ryan McVay/Photodisc/Getty Images
How to Use a Mastercam Engraver
Mastercam offers an engraving add-on for its modeling machines and software. By installing this software on your computer, you can create 3D...
Ideas for Engraved Messages
Engraved messages, no matter what items they are on, are meant to be special and have personal meaning. The message should strike...