Deleting an email account from your smartphone frees up space and removes clutter from your inbox. Some email accounts on your Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 7 device are linked to contacts, calendars and other important information. Deleting these accounts may also delete associated information from your phone, so delete accounts with caution and back up any important data you want to keep before proceeding.
Open the App list and tap the “Settings” app icon to launch the Settings app. The Settings app icon resembles a mechanical gear. If you have trouble finding the Settings app, tap the "Search" icon and enter "Settings."
Tap “Email + accounts” to load the Email and Accounts settings screen, which displays a list of all accounts registered on your device.
Press and hold the name of the email account you want to delete. When prompted, tap “Delete” and then tap “Delete” again to confirm that you want to completely remove the account from your Windows Phone device.
Tips & Warnings
- If you accidentally remove the wrong account, you can add emails accounts back onto the device using the same Email and Accounts screen. Tap “Add an account” and follow the prompts to add your account. You will need to know your email account user name, password and potentially some server information to proceed.
- The Microsoft Account you used when setting up your device can’t be deleted without completely resetting your Windows Phone to its factory settings.
- If you want to perform a factory reset to remove the main account associated with your phone, you can do so using the Settings app. Performing a reset will remove all apps and user data from the phone, so only proceed if you’ve backed up everything you want to save. This procedure cannot be undone.
- To perform a reset, tap the “Settings” icon on the App list to launch the Settings app. Tap “About” and then tap “Reset your phone.” Tap “Yes” and then tap “Yes” again to confirm that you want to reset the device. It may take several minutes for the phone to complete the automated reset process.
- Photo Credit puruan/iStock/Getty Images
How to delete your Yahoo! email account, IM, or profile
A person's privacy is very important and as users we often leave pieces of information about ourselves stored in databases across the...
How to Delete My Windows Live Messenger & Hotmail Account
If you have an old Hotmail or Windows Live account you never use, or if you are just receiving too much spam...
How to Delete an Email Address in Windows Mail
Many email users choose to use an email client program such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Incredimail or Windows Mail--the Windows Vista...
How to Delete Contacts in Windows Mail
Windows Mail is a mail program that is built into Windows and allows you to exchange email messages through multiple accounts. It...