Find an average salary for a job or career before making any decisions about changing jobs or entering a new field.
Do some homework online and see if the salary will be a step up for you.
If you are currently unemployed, any salary is a step up. Nevertheless, it is wise to think ahead to better times, and plan for your future career or job.
Write out your career interests.
Think of the ways you would like to earn a living and areas of knowledge or training, and make a list of possible jobs or careers of interest. Include all jobs you believe you would like or could qualify for.
Check with reputable sites online.
Find the United States government sites for the best reference and most accurate information. The federal government provides information as well as government jobs. Use their information to your advantage. See Resources below for links to the government job sites.
Search by state or zip code.
Find an average salary for a job or career of interest by checking an area by zip code or by state. Since salaries vary from one state to another, find the most accurate job information for the area where you intend to work.
Use other websites to validate your results.
Check with non-government sites, and actual job search websites to validate the information. Sites like Indeed provide a salary graph for different positions.
Click on the Salary tab after completing the information for the career search. This graph will provide an average salary for a job or career of interest.
Tips & Warnings
- We often write about jobs, writing, and consumer issues. See more articles in Resources below.
- copyright 2010 Linda Richard
- Feel free to link to this article or send it to a friend. Do not copy.
- Photo Credit images from the author
- Top Occupations in Government Jobs
- Government Sponsored Website Acinet
- Salary Information from Government Site
- Salary Information from Non-Government Site
- Indeed.com Jobs and Information
- Keep a Job in this Economy
- Locate a Government Job
- Make Money Online: Work Smart
- Choose High School Courses for College Prep
- How to Find Government Employee Salaries
How to Calculate an Annual Salary
Knowing your annual salary makes it easier to budget your expenses over the long term. But not everyone's salary is based on...
- How to Calculate a Median Salary
How to Calculate Average Salary
Once in a while, everyone likes to know how much they're averaging in their pay. Whether it has to do with an...
- Salary Range for a HR Recruiter