American Express Travelers Cheques provide a safe alternative to carrying money around in a foreign location. You can exchange them for cash or use them to pay for goods and services. Signing your Travelers Cheques in the upper left corner as soon as you receive them provides protection if they are lost or stolen. A Cheque can’t be cashed unless the signature given at the time of the transaction matches the original signature.
Things You'll Need
- American Express Travelers Cheques
- Photo Identification or Passport
Go to a bank or foreign exchange location that accepts American Express Travelers Cheques to exchange them for local currency. Use them as a form of payment at retailers, restaurants or hotels that accept Travelers Cheques.
Write the date in the upper right corner on the front of the Cheque. Write the name of the business on the “pay to the order” line.
Sign your name in the lower left corner on the front of the Cheque on the line provided. The cashier or merchant should watch you sign and verify that your signature matches the original signature in the upper left corner of the Cheque.
Provide photo identification or your passport if requested. Requirements vary by country.
Tips & Warnings
- You might need to pay commission charges, which vary by country or exchange location.
- Ask the cashier or merchant to call (800) 525-7641 from within the United States if he experiences difficulty cashing a Travelers Cheque. For locations outside of the U. S., the cashier or merchant should contact an American Express Travelers Cheque Customer Service Center.
- If you don’t use the full value of a Travelers Cheque, you’ll receive cash back.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images
Banks That Sell American Express Gift Cheques
American Express Gift Cheques are one way to manage your travel or gift budget. Consider using them for lodging, dining or shopping....
How to Redeem Unused Traveler's Checks
Though they can be difficult to use in some locations, traveler's checks provide a safe form of money when you travel. If...
How to Obtain Traveler's Checks
While the heyday of traveler’s checks has long been over, the precursor to charge cards remains one of the safest forms of...
- How to Check American Express Traveler's Cheques
- How to Use American Express Gift Cheques