How to Transfer From Active Duty Navy to Reserve Navy


There are a variety of reasons you might be ready to transfer from active duty in the US Navy to Navy Reserve. As a member of the Navy Reserve, you will commit to at least one weekend a month and two weeks a year. You may also be called to active duty, to serve anywhere in the world, depending on the needs of the Navy. The Navy has established a seamless avenue for both enlisted and officer personnel to transition from active duty to the reserve.

Things You'll Need

  • Discharge or release papers from the US Navy
  • Medical examinations
  • All other military documents, as outlined by your recruiter
  • Finish your commitment to the Navy. You will need your discharge papers, referred to as form DD-214 in order to apply for the reserve. You can obtain form DD-214 from the National Personnel Records Center at 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.

  • Act within four years of your leaving active duty Navy. Your rank and paygrade are eligible for seamless transfer if you join the reserves less than four years after you are discharged from the Navy.

  • Contact your local reserve recruiter. He can give you details about the opportunities available in your area and your transferability. Talk with him about your specific career goals, as there may be specific quota or training for your area of interest.

  • Submit all the necessary paperwork, including your DD-214, medical examination reports and proof of your participation in drills, to verify you needn’t attend any additional training. After your acceptance, you will be ready to report for duty at your local Navy Reserve branch.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit Mark Wilson/Getty Images News/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

3 Day-to-Night Outfits for the Work Week

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!