You do not have to purchase a program to get a government grant. Government grants are free and there is no cost to apply. More times then not these programs are just ebooks giving you information about free online sites where you can sign up for government grants. Before internet was a widely used source, private and public granters was forced to make applicants pay a processing fee, but with today's technology you should not have to pay to get grant money.
For personal grants you will need you social security number, last years tax papers, and government issued Id. For grants for service projects, Other information needed varies depending on what type of government grant money you are applying for.
To apply for grants for a project or organization that would be considered research or non profit go to grants.gov. Grants.gov is a government sponsored website that does not ask applicants to buy any programs and will never ask for money. Applicants are required to fill out a detailed applications and attach a grant proposal. Most grant opportunities are found through the site only allows internet based applications.
To apply for government grant money to help pay for job training, two year degree program, four year colleges, and some master degree programs go to studentaid.ed.gov. Also talk with the college admissions counselor about privately funded grants available for students. Never pay a fee to join programs to find government grants to go to school. College grants programs that ask for money are usually lottery pots that takes a portion of the applicant fees to give as grants and takes the rest of the money as profit.
To find grants for individuals and families go to govbenefits.gov. While the U.S. government does not typically give grants to individuals to pay for personal needs such as doctor bills and shelter, they do give grants to non profit organizations to help those individuals and families. The organizations may give help through monetary means or through services. Govbenifits.gov give information on government funded sources that may give help in areas that you are looking for. The program listed should never ask for a application fee, but will ask many personal questions before giving financial assistance.
To find free government loan assistant programs and grants to start a new business or to grow a current business contact the United States Small Business Administration (www.sba.gov). While the government does give loans at very low or no interest to businesses it is a myth that they give away money to small business for profit owners. However, they may give grants for business projects that benefit the community or environment. The SBA also helps business get government contracts.
Tips & Warnings
- While I would not spend money on grant programs, I do recommend serious grant seekers to research grant writing by reading books and talking with experienced grant writers.
- If you do not feel like your capable of getting a grant on your own, consider hiring a grant writer or consultant.
- You do not have to buy into a program to get a government grant.
- If a company calls you and says they will give you a government grant if you pay them a small fee, hang up the phone and report the company. It is a scam.
- Some grants require applicant to just fill out qualification information and provide proof. Other grants may require a essay or a well thought out grant proposal.
- Not every group, organization, or individual will qualify for every grant.
- Grant awards are subject to what funds are available. Not all those who apply and match qualifications will be awarded a government grant.
- Official Government Grant Website
- Federal Student Aid
- Government Assistant programs
- United States Small Business Administration.
- How to Make Your Grant Proposal Stand Out
- How to find Government Grants for Single Parents for school or personal use
- How to Find Free Government Grant Listings.
- How to Find Grant Money For Personal Use
- How to avoid and recognize grant scams.
How to Find and Fill out Free Government Grant Applications
Government grants are provided to individuals in need - whether for schooling, business or something else. They are a great resource, as...
How to Apply for a Government Grant at No Charge
Turning a vision into reality requires sufficient financing. To fund your project or business, consider applying for a government grant. Grant money...
How to Ask for a Grant
A grant is a gift of money. Technically, anyone can ask another party for a grant for personal, nonprofit or business purposes....
Grants With No Upfront Cost
Year after year, the Federal Trade Commission deals with thousands of complaints from consumers paying money for government grants -- only to...