Eco-friendly products are now in demand to help save our environment. One of the items that has become popular is the stainless steel water bottle. Using these bottles helps reduce the vast number of plastic bottles people use for carrying water or other drinks. Most of the stainless steel bottles are made from 18/8 food-grade stainless steel and are safe to reuse. However, many complaints have arisen that they have an unpleasant metallic taste. This is easy to eliminate, thus making the eco-friendly bottles more enjoyable to use.
Things You'll Need
- Stainless steel water bottle
- Hot soapy water
- Distilled or filtered water
- White vinegar
Wash the stainless steel water bottle in hot soapy water and rinse well.
Mix enough of the distilled or filtered water in equal proportion with the vinegar to fill the water bottle. For example, if your water bottle is 16 ounces, mix eight ounces of the water with eight ounces of the vinegar.
Fill the bottle with the water and vinegar mixture.
Allow the bottle to sit undisturbed overnight with the vinegar-and-water mixture in it.
Pour out the water-and-vinegar mixture and rinse the water bottle well. The metallic taste should be gone. If the metallic taste comes back, simply repeat these steps to get rid of it again.
Tips & Warnings
- Use baking soda and water to clean the outside of your water bottle. Be careful of painted decorations: paint does not adhere well to stainless steel and it is easy to scratch the paint.
- Never use harsh abrasives or brushes to clean a stainless steel water bottle. These can scratch the surface and cause rust spots. Use a handful of uncooked rice and a little vinegar to clean the inside. Put these ingredients in the bottle and shake well.
- Do not leave water, soft drinks, or juice in a stainless steel bottle for long periods of time; these substances can also cause rust spots.
How to Remove the Plastic Taste From a Water Cooler
Plastic pieces that are located inside a water cooler are often the culprits, causing the water to have a plastic taste. It's...
How to Get Rid of Metallic Taste From Stainless Steel Pans
Metal cookware can leach while you cook, giving your food a metallic flavor. Stainless steel pans are regarded as the safest because...
How to Get Rid of a Coffee Taste in a Thermos
Coffee taste and its accompanying odor can build up in a thermos or travel mug. The taste becomes more pronounced if the...
Aluminum Pressure Cooker Vs Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker
Pressure cookers have gained new popularity in the contemporary kitchen due to their ability to cook foods fast. A pressure cooker uses...