How to Get Rid of Mold Sickness


Mold sickness is a potentially dangerous illness resulting from exposure to mold growth. In sensitive individuals, mold spores enter the lungs and cause severe allergic or asthmatic reactions including wheezing, shortness of breath or coughing. It can also lead to serious lung diseases and even death -- especially in individuals who have compromised immune systems or an existing lung condition. To reduce complications that result from mold exposure, it is important to eliminate mold growth in the home by identifying the source of the problem and taking corrective action.

  • Identify areas of mold growth in your home. Mold requires moisture to thrive, so seek out areas where condensation or water seepage occurs, such as in bathrooms, around window casings and in the basement. You can also use your nose to identify mold growth by identifying areas that smell musty or earthy.

  • Eliminate the source of the moisture by fixing leaky plumbing, insulating windows properly and fixing areas where water frequently seeps into the house. In moist basements, run a dehumidifier to reduce the humidity level to between 30 and 60 percent. It is also important to properly vent the kitchen and the bathroom to the outdoors to reduce moisture from cooking and bathing.

  • Clean mold growth off of hard surfaces with hot soapy water. Some materials, such as carpeting, wood, insulation and ceiling tiles, might need to be replaced if they are badly affected by mold.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!