FOREX is short for foreign currency exchange. When you trade foreign currency and make a profit, your FOREX income must be reported to the Internal Revenue Service. However, FOREX earnings aren’t taxed like those of other securities such as gains on stocks or bond interest. FOREX income may be taxed two different ways – and you get to pick the one that suits you.
Section 988 Reporting
You can elect to have FOREX income taxed under Internal Revenue Code Section 988 or Section 1256. You must make your choice as of January 1 for the coming year or FOREX earnings automatically fall under S.988. The S.988 rules define all gains or losses from currency trading as ordinary income or losses. This means you report the income just as you would interest or dividends and pay ordinary tax rates. A loss can be taken as a deduction against ordinary income. There is no dollar limit for a loss deduction as is the case for capital losses.
Section 1256 Reporting
If you elect to report FOREX income under IRC S.1256, 60 percent of the income is treated as a long-term capital gain and taxed at a lower rate than ordinary income. The remaining 40 percent is considered ordinary income. If you make a profit trading FOREX in the coming year, IRC S.1256 tax reporting will result in a lower tax rate.
- Photo Credit vinnstock/iStock/Getty Images
Can Section 1256 Losses Offset Schedule D Capital Gains?
In the United States, Section 1256 securities relate to regulated futures contracts, foreign currency contracts, non-equity options, dealer security options, and dealer...
Taxation of Foreign Exchange Gains & Losses
The goal of a forex trader is to make money from foreign exchange transactions and make gains. It is a prudent policy...
How to Report Gambling Winnings and Losses for Tax Purposes
Gambling winnings are included as income for tax purposes, and gambling losses may be deductible on your tax return if you itemize...
How to Report FOREX Losses
For tax purposes, money lost on the Foreign Exchange Market should be reported like any other stock losses or gains. Showing significant...
How to Report Losses on a Tax Return
When filing your income tax return you are required to report any losses you incurred during the tax year. Income tax loss...
Foreign Currency Trading & Tax Laws
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax laws on foreign currency exchange trading in the foreign exchange (forex) market are somewhat confusing. In addition,...
An Effective Strategy for Reducing Taxable Income
Reducing taxable income requires you to adopt an effective strategy sooner rather than later. Get tips on an effective strategy for reducing...