The next time you take the kids to McDonald's for a Happy Meal, the hamburger chain's signature meal plan for children, save the flimsy cardboard box holding the burger, fries, dessert and surprise toy to use as a model for a sturdier, more personalized version. This craft should entertain your children on a rainy day. Your children will get to explore their creativity and complete a dual-purpose project in just a few hours. The customized Happy Meal box can be used to hold special trinkets, school supplies, art supplies and any other grouped items.
Things You'll Need
- Happy Meal box (1 per child)
- Sheet of white poster board (1 per child)
- Clear tape
- Scrap paper
- Colored markers and crayons
- Craft glue
- Faux jewel embellishments
Flatten the box, and cut it along one side of the box binding so that the box is in one long piece.
Trace the outline of the Happy Meal box on a sheet of white poster board. Draw around the finger enclosures on the Golden-Arch handles.
Cut along the outline, and fold the box according to the original folds of the Happy Meal box. Keep one intact Happy Meal box upright on your work table to refer to as a model if possible.
Tape all the sides needing to be fastened, and then begin decorating. Cover the sides and corners where sides come together with scrap paper. Add faux jewels, draw artwork with markers or crayons or attach ribbon to the handles. Let your child explore his creativity.
Tips & Warnings
- Folding your replica box might take several tries. However, once it is covered in colorful paper and bejeweled, you won't able to see mistakes.
- Consider foregoing Steps 2 and 3. Instead, cut and flatten your original Happy Meal boxes to allow your children to work with long, flattened canvases. When your little artists are finished decorating the flattened box, tape the box back together inside out so the original design is on the inside of the box. You will skip the pesky task of folding a replica box if you choose this version of the project.
When Was the Happy Meal Introduced?
While most children today take the presence of the McDonald's Happy Meals for granted, the kids' meal was originally not a part...
How to Create a Meal Plan to Lose Weight
You've decided you want to lose weight and get healthy. But it seems like you're always running out of time and grabbing...
How to Make a Four Course Fondue Meal
As fondue restaurants spring up across the nation, the fun of dipping tasty morsels of food into a communal pot of cheese...
How to Make McDonalds Big Mac Sauce
The big mac sauce recipe is no longer a secret. Make the special sauce at home for use as a condiment or...
- How to Design a Cereal Box
How to Make Your Own Happy Meal Type of Box
What kid doesn't love a happy meal? You can make even your pickiest eater thrilled with his lunch by designing and decorating...