Abu Dhabi is the capital of the United Arab Emirates. U.S. citizens are required to have a passport with at least six months of validity remaining and a visa, if the visit will be more than 30 days. If the visit is less than 30 days, a visa is not required. The UAE allows citizens from more than 30 countries to visit without visas, provided their stays are within the 30-day time frame. Travelers who are citizens of countries other than the United States should visit the United Arab Emirates Embassy website for specifics pertaining to them.
Things You'll Need
- Application Form
- Copy of passport
- 2 passport-size photos
- Prepaid, self-addressed envelope with a tracking number (express mail, UPS or FedEx, for example)
- Sponsor based in the UAE (If you will visit an individual, provide all information.
- If you will visit an organization, use the following sponsor/host information:
- Full name--list the organization name
- Profession--list the industry
- Address--list the organization's address in the UAE
- Telephone--list the organization's phone number in the UAE
- (Passport number and nationality are not needed for organizations)
- Invitation letter from sponsor
- Processing fee
- Employment letter on company letterhead, attesting to employment
- Cover letter that includes the following:
- Introduction--your name, who you are
- Reason for staying that long in the UAE
- Specific request for the visa
Visit the "Visa Requirements for U.S. Citizens" section on the United Arab Emirates Embassy website to determine whether a visa is appropriate for your visit.
Gather appropriate information. Have your travel dates, sponsor, passport, employer information and legal names of those traveling with you. A successful visa application must have a sponsor. You can choose an individual or an organization as your sponsor. If you are visiting family or friends in Abu Dhabi, you must list them as your sponsor and include contact information for them. If you are visiting on a business trip, list the appropriate business information (for example, what company will you be doing business with?).
Submit the application online. You also must print two copies of the application to mail later. You will be prompted to upload various documents and digital copies of your passport and passport photos at the time of submission.
Mail all your original documents, including copies of your application and the appropriate fees, to the UAE Embassy, but not until you receive email notification of an interim approval. This email will include information on where to send the documents, processing fee, two signed copies of your application forms (printed at the completion of the online application), your passport, two original passport-size photos and a prepaid, self-addressed envelope with a tracking number.