A medical transcriptionist listens to audio recordings made by doctors or medical personnel and types those words into a word processing document. These documents are then sent to the medical professional for use. This field is growing rapidly as the need for electronic medical records increases. The Bureau of Labor and Statistics expects the industry to "grow 14 percent from 2006 to 2016, faster than the average for all occupations" (see Reference 1).
Qualifying as a Medical Transcriptionist
Take a training or post-secondary course in medical transcription.
Become a certified Medical Transcriptionist and become familiar with medical terminology.
Be familiar with English usage and grammar.
Building Your Resume
Create a detailed resume, but do not add superficial information. Include any and all medical transcription and/or terminology training you have.
Be straightforward and concise in your resume, and provide relevant, professional references if available.
Highlight any computer, dictation, or word-processing software experience you have, even if not directly related to transcription.
At the Interview
Present yourself in a calm, composed manner.
Speak slowly and deliberately -- a transcriptionist must posses a firm grasp on the English language. Avoid using long sentences.
Ask questions about the job and the role, but do not ask about salary.
Be prepared to take a typing and/or transcription test.
Tips & Warnings
- Dress professionally for your interview. "Monster Careers: How to Land the Job of Your Life" suggests dressing a "little better than required" (see Reference 3).
- Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2008-09 Edition: Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Transcriptionist Jobs: Preparing For A Medical Transcriptionist's Job
- "Monster Careers: How to Land the Job of Your Life," Jeff Taylor with Doug Hardy, 2004
How to Transcribe Interviews
Conducting a great interview requires coming up with pertinent questions and establishing a rapport with your subject. While those tasks aren't easy,...
- How to Write Interview Acknowledgement Letters
- Transcription Tips
- Employee Interview Questions in Medical Billing & Coding
List of Medical Assistant Interview Questions
Medical assistants perform a variety of job duties and face many challenges in the workplace on a day-to-day basis. Because of the...
Medical Assistant Job Interview Tips
One of the easiest ways to begin a career in the medical field is to become a medical assistant. The need for...