Glaze coating added to paper beads improves the durability of the bead. Add a glaze coating to give your finished paper beads a glossy appearance that will compliment your beading project. Use your glazed paper beads to create pieces of jewelry, embellish scrapbooks or handmade cards, or create decorative accents for your home.
Things You'll Need
- Paper beads
- Paint brush
- Paper plate, paper towel, or waxed paper
- An empty cereal box
- Utility knife
Lay your empty cereal box down on a table or other flat surface and use a utility knife to cover the surface of the box with small holes.
Attach a single paper bead to the end of a toothpick and position over a paper plate, paper towel or piece of waxed paper.
Apply glaze material to a paint brush. Holding the toothpick with the bead attached in one hand, and the paint brush with glaze material in the other, spin the toothpick between the thumb and forefinger to apply the glaze from the paintbrush onto the bead. Hold at an angle to allow excess glaze material to drip onto the paper plate, paper towel or waxed paper.
Place the toothpick with the glazed bead into one of the holes of the empty cereal box and allow the paper bead to dry completely.
Tips & Warnings
- Use a piece of Styrofoam material to create your bead drying station.
- Once paper beads have dried completely, apply a second coat of glaze material to provide more durability to the bead and provide a more brilliant shine.
- When glazing paper beads that have been created using a winding method, spin the toothpick in the opposite direction that the bead was wound to provide for more complete sealing of the finished bead.
- Rinse the paint brush used to apply the glaze material frequently to prevent bleeding or smearing of any ink that may be on the paper that was used to make the bead.
- When glazing paper beads that have been painted, be certain that paint has been given time to dry completely before proceeding with the glazing process.
- Purchase glaze material from your local craft store that is specified for use on paper products in order achieve best results from the glazing product.
How to Make Paper Beads
Paper beads are made by tightly rolling up long triangles of paper. They can be made from colorful crafting paper like the...
How to Make Glazed Paper Jewelry
Making glazed paper jewelry at home is a simple craft project that not only creates attractive accessory items, but also helps the...
How to Make Jewelry With Paper
Paper jewelry involves rolling strips into tight tubes that act as beads and applying a clear coat on top of a printed...