How to Transfer a Non-Qualified Annuity


The rules for transferring a non-qualified annuity are much the same as for transferring a qualified contract. There is just less paperwork involved. In either case, there is no tax consequence as long as it is done correctly as a transfer and a distribution is not taken out of the old contract.

  • Contact the carrier of the new contract that you wish to purchase and request new account and transfer paperwork. In most cases, you will be able to download all the forms you need on the company's website. You will not need to contact your current annuity carrier; your new carrier will do this for you.

  • Complete the paperwork and send it to your new carrier. You will need to complete the 1035 Exchange form, along with your application and any other pertinent forms that your situation may require. You may have to mail a hard copy, but a signed scanned copy may suffice instead. Your carrier should list its document requirements either on its site or on the forms themselves. Your agent or broker should also know them.

  • Wait at least two weeks for your carrier to process the transfer. It will notify you when your transfer has gone through and give you your new contract number. Contact the carrier you haven't heard from it after two weeks.

  • Check with your old carrier and make sure that the entire amount of your contract was dispersed to your new carrier. If you receive your proceeds as a check payable to you, then either you or the carrier have made an error and distributed the proceeds. Work with your old carrier to reverse the procedure and transfer the balance instead.

Tips & Warnings

  • For more information on 1035 Exchanges, visit the IRS website.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

  • What Is a Non-Qualified Annuity?

    An annuity is a contract between an annuitant and an insurance company. The annuitant makes an initial investment, or ongoing contributions over...

  • What is Tax Qualified Money?

    There are two different types of retirement accounts--qualified and non-qualified. Knowing the differences between the two can help when evaluating sound retirement...

  • Qualified Plan Rollover Rules

    An qualified plan allows you to save money for your retirement without paying taxes on the buildup of your savings. Eventually, you...

  • The Taxation of a Non-Qualified Annuity

    When saving money for your retirement, you have several choices as to what financial products to use. One option is an annuity....

  • How to Transfer an Annuity Into an IRA

    An annuity and an IRA are both vehicles that investors can use to save for retirement. Both are given tax-deferred status by...

  • How to Transfer an Annuity

    Annuities are tax-deferred investments used for supplemental retirement plans. Annuity funds can be qualified (IRA, 401k) or non-qualified. The only difference between...

  • How to Transfer Ownership of an Annuity

    Annuities supplement retirement income by deferring taxes on earning and adding distributions to gross income. There are four designated parties to any...

  • Annuity Rollover Rules

    Tax-exempt organizations can offer their employees tax-sheltered annuities as a retirement plan vehicle. When employment status is terminated for whatever reason, an...

Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!