Most manufacturers recommend that you do not attempt to repair fitness or exercise balls. Yet there are instances, if the damage is minor and of a specific nature, that they can be repaired for the short term. Repairing a fitness ball is not a permanent fix, but it can be done simply and quickly.
Things You'll Need
- Green Goo puncture repair liquid, Doctor Ball or a bicycle repair kit of any brand
- Bicycle tire pump and valve
- Tape measure
Repairing an Exercise or Fitness Ball
Find out if your ball is burst-resistant. Typically, balls that are smooth, shiny and not textured are not burst-resistant, so don't try to repair them--you could be injured. Burst-resistant balls are highly textured to help them deflate at steady rate instead of exploding.
Fill the ball with the Green Goo, Doctor Ball or bicycle repair substance, and inflate it to the correct size. Maneuver the ball around so that the repair fluid covers the punctured area from the inside. If done correctly, all escaping air should cease, and your ball will be ready for use again in minutes.
If all else fails, take the ball to a tire-repair shop. It can employ similar methods to fix a puncture, but this solution also is temporary.
Tips & Warnings
- If you can't find a puncture on your ball, you might just have a faulty valve. Most online sports equipment stores sell valves for fitness balls.
- Be aware of your ball's correct size while repairing it. Over-inflating the ball can result in injury, and balls that are not burst-resistant are prone to exploding if they are punctured.
- Remember that this fix is only temporary, and the puncture could push back through later.
How to Fix Leaks in Sports Balls
While inflatable sports balls are crafted to withstand rough treatment and conditions, damage occasionally occurs that may lead to a leak in...
How to Fix a Flat Ball Cap
You've done it again--left your favorite ball cap sitting on top of your current seat--then proceeded to sit down. Now, your ball...
How to Repair a Life Fitness Elliptical
With health and fitness being foremost in many people's minds these days, the use of home fitness equipment has taken off. The...