Many plastic container companies manufacture exceptional quality food storage containers. Their products are designed to keep food fresh with an air- and liquid-tight lid, which these companies refer to as a seal. While the seal is designed to be snug to maintain freshness, occasionally you will find a seal that is nearly impossible to fit onto its bowl. For individuals with decreased hand strength, particularly the elderly or those with arthritis, this can be problematic. But here is a solution!
Things You'll Need
- Plastic container bowl and seal
- Dishwasher or sink, with very hot water
Wash the bowl and seal in the dishwasher, or soak in a sink of very hot water for 15 minutes.
Remove from the dishwasher or sink and place the seal on the bowl. The heat will cause the seal to be more flexible and the seal will custom form itself to the bowl.
Allow the bowl, with the seal on, to rest until cool---about 30 minutes.
Remove the seal from the bowl and store separately.
If the seal remains tight, repeat the process one or two more times.
Occasionally bowls and seals don't ever quite fit together and no amount of manipulation will resolve the problem. In this happens, contact your plastic food container company consultant or the company's customer service department at (800) 366-3800.
Tips & Warnings
- Plastic container seals will loosen with use. Give a brand new seal a little time and a few uses before you seek a replacement.
- Most reputable companies will replace most items free of charge. However, exceptions do exist. For example, if an item has become obsolete, you will be given a merchandise credit. Your local consultant can then replace the item with a new version of comparable shape, size and function.
- Bowls and seals will be very hot when removed from the dishwasher. Use caution to avoid burns.
How to Make Snow Globes With Salt
Snow globes can be fun to make with children or for Christmas presents. Personalizing them with an item in the middle can...
How to Make Bracelets Out of the Blue Coke Bottle Lids
Popular with tweens and teens for years, the thin plastic bottle cap inserts found on Coke bottles can be made into ingenious,...
Ceramic Covered Jar Fitting
Fit the lid into the ceramic covered jar while firing to ensure a good fit. Learn more about fitting lids in place...