Glass is one of the more frustrating items for homeowners to clean because it clearly displays dirt, fingerprints, grease and other liquids, and cleaning the glass often leaves unattractive streaks. While many commercial glass cleaners are available, glass can also be cleaned with a simple, inexpensive combination of rubbing alcohol and water. Before you spend a lot of money on a brand-name commercial cleaner, try a homemade remedy for making your glass sparkle.
Things You'll Need
- Microfiber cloth
- Rubbing alcohol
- Quart-size spray bottle
Wipe the glass with a microfiber cloth to remove loose dust.
Pour 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol in a quart-size spray bottle and fill the rest of the bottle with water. Shake the bottle to mix the contents.
Spray the glass with the rubbing alcohol solution. Allow the cleaner to sit for a minute to dissolve dirt, grease and other stains.
Polish the glass with newspaper to leave a clean finish with no streaks.
Tips & Warnings
- The rubbing alcohol solution is also good for removing or preventing frost on exterior windows or car windows.
- Dip a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol to remove hairspray from the bathroom mirror or to put a shine on chrome bathroom fixtures.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands when cleaning.
- Do not confuse rubbing alcohol with denatured alcohol. Denatured alcohol can damage glass.
- "Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things;" Reader's Digest Staff Writers; 2005
- Reader's Digest: 12 Ways to Use Rubbing Alcoho
- Photo Credit Choreograph/iStock/Getty Images
How to Clean Windows With Vinegar and Alcohol
Cleaning your windows to achieve a glistening, clear look is not as easy as I used to think it would be as...
How to Mix Ammonia to Make Glass Cleaner
Ammonia by itself or just mixed with water can leave streaks when used to clean glass. A streak-free ammonia cleaning solution works...
How to Clean With Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol is an all-purpose cleaner. Used primarily in a medical setting and for medical purposes, rubbing alcohol can be used to...
How to Clean Plastic With Alcohol
Plastic is commonly used to make many of the products we use daily, such as eyeglasses, computers and water bottles. Plastic attracts...
How to Use Rubbing Alcohol to Clean Lenses
Lenses are found in numerous products including eyeglasses, sunglasses and goggles. The purpose of a lens is to transmit and refract light....
How to Clean With Isopropyl Alcohol
One of the best cleaners is probably under your sink right now. Rubbing, or isopropyl, alcohol is not just for medicinal purposes....
How to Make Cleaning Solution for Eyeglasses
Make your own cleaning solution to use on eyeglasses. Learn how to clean and take care of eyeglasses from lenses to frames...