For those with limited space, container gardening can be a true blessing. It allows you to grow fresh vegetables during the growing season on a patio or porch or other areas with no garden space. Beans are well suited to growing in hanging pots, provided you grow vine-type beans, such as pole beans. The resulting plants will not only provide fresh beans, but also add beauty to your space.
Things You'll Need
- Hanging planting pots or baskets
- Potting soil
- Bean seeds
Fill the hanging pots two-thirds full of a good-quality potting soil.
Place three to five bean seeds 2 inches from the outside edge of the pot in a circle on top of the soil.
Cover the bean seeds with 1/2 to 1 inch of potting soil.
Water the pot and hang it in the desired area, ensuring that the pot receives full sunlight. The seeds should germinate within five to seven days.
Water the pot weekly. A good rain counts as a weekly watering.
Drape the vines over the sides of the hanging pots when they are long enough. As the plant grows, continue to train the vines to the outside of the pot.
Harvest the beans from the plant when they reach maturity. Picking the beans often will help the plant to produce more beans as the season progresses.
Tips & Warnings
- Do not crowd the beans in the hanging pot. If you are using a very small pot (6 inches or less), reduce the amount of bean seeds to no more than three per pot.
- Almost any vegetable plant that vines can be grown in hanging baskets, including some varieties of tomatoes.
- Container gardening, including hanging baskets, is virtually weed-free.
- The blooms on bean vines indicate that fresh beans are only a week or so away.
- If frost is expected and your beans are still producing, bring the hanging basket inside to keep the plant alive.
How to Tell Which Vegetables Work in Hanging Baskets
The rewards of growing your own vegetables include the delicious flavor of your crop and the satisfaction of providing your own healthful...
Ideas for Autumn Hanging Baskets
Fall hanging baskets bring color and visual interest to your outdoor landscape and help to extend your gardens growing season. Whether you...
Growing Ferns in Hanging Baskets
Ferns are low maintenance plants and growing them in hanging baskets is very easy. Learn how to grow ferns in hanging baskets...
How Much Water Does a Bean Plant Need?
Bean plants are one of the popular crops for homeowners to grow. They are healthful, providing essential nutrients. They also are versatile...