Modern ski clothing is lightweight, waterproof and breathable. Advanced materials mean very high-quality clothing, but also can mean steep prices. Well-cared-for ski clothes should stand up to many years of use, but life does throw us curves and sometimes nylon jackets become torn. No need to worry though; with a few simple steps most nylon jacket tears can be repaired.
Things You'll Need
- Needle and thread
- Rubber cement
- Small nylon patch
- Clothes iron
Examine the tear. If the tear is small and straight, then you should be able to repair it very quickly and simply. If it is a jagged, expansive tear, you will use a slightly different technique.
Use a needle and thread to simply stitch a small tear. Apply a small, light coating of rubber cement on the inside of the jacket to seal the repair.
Patch a larger tear to keep it from tearing again. To incorporate a patch in your repair, begin by stitching the tear as described above using needle and thread.
Cut a nylon patch large enough to cover the repair. Patches may be purchased from a fabric store or cut from older garments.
Apply a thin layer of rubber cement to both the garment and the patch, allowing the cement to cure for five minutes before applying. Press the patch firmly, checking that all edges are sticking well.
Use a warm iron to seal the tear after the glue has dried for at least 12 hours . Place a bandanna or thin towel over the garment to reduce the chance of melting your jacket.
Tips & Warnings
- Use rubber cement sparingly. A little goes a long way.
- Some repairs are best left to a professional. Most dry cleaners can send your repairs to a seamstress for a small fee.
- When using rubber cement, always work in a well-ventilated area.
- When ironing a synthetic garment, be careful not to start with an overheated iron. You can always turn it up a little at a time if it's not hot enough, but if it's too hot you might melt your jacket.
- How to Easily Mend a Small Burn in a Nylon Jacket
How to Repair Cordura
Cordura is a fabric used in some camping and sports gear. When the fabric has a hole in it, sewing the hole...
- How to Fix a Ripped Winter Coat
- How to Fix Down Jackets
- How To Repair Nylon Fabric
- Repairing a Hole in a Nylon Jacket
- The Best Way to Fix a Rip in Nylon Wind Pants