How to Change Your Last Name Through Social Security


If your name has changed for any reason, it’s important to notify the Social Security Administration as soon as possible and request a new Social Security card that reflects your correct name. Incorrect information may delay your tax refund or cause your earnings to be incorrectly reflected on your Social Security earnings statement.

Things You'll Need

  • Identification documents
  • Proof of name change

Gather all of the documents that you need to prove your identity and verify your name change. A marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order or Certificate of Naturalization is required to process a name change with the Social Security Administration. Documents that can be used to verify your citizenship and identity include a birth certificate or passport. You must have one current form of identification showing your new name as well as identification showing your previous name.

Download the application form for a new Social Security card from the Social Security Administration's website (see Resources).

Fill out the form completely, including your new name and previous name. If you are over 18, you may omit boxes eight and nine.

Take the completed form, along with your proof of identity and official name-change document, to your local Social Security office (see Resources). The employees there will file the documents with the Social Security Administration on your behalf and you will receive a new Social Security card reflecting your name change in the mail.

Tips & Warnings

  • You must provide original or certified copies of your identity documents along with your application. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!