Coleman lanterns have been known for innovation and reliability for more than 100 years. While Coleman offers LED powered lanterns, many still prefer a propane lantern for camping and other outdoor activities. Changing the mantle in a Coleman lantern is a simple task that takes little time.
Things You'll Need
- Coleman propane lantern
- Mantle pack
- 16.4-oz propane tank
Remove the propane tank from the lantern as a safety precaution. Never attempt to replace or fix a mantle when your propane tank is attached and the gas valve is turned on.
Determine the shape and style of mantle your lantern requires. The shape is rated by number. There are two mantle styles--tie on or clip on. This information can be located in the lantern manual.
Break down the lantern head and remove the globe, allowing you to access the gas valve.
If a used mantle is present, carefully remove and discard the mantle. Tie or clip on your new mantle. The mantle is attached to the gas valve at the top of the lantern.
Reassemble the lantern globe and top. Reattach the propane tank. You may now light your lantern with a match or an instant spark system in your lantern.
Tips & Warnings
- All Coleman lanterns use a 16.4-oz propane tank for fuel.
- Some lanterns have upper and lower mantle support, which will be noted in your manual.
- Coleman advises using only Coleman made mantles for any Coleman lantern, Coleman also notes "Coleman replacement parts are intended for use only on specific Coleman products. Any other use of Coleman replacement parts is strictly prohibited."
- On the Coleman website, customers are advised to use caution when replacing any part of their lantern "Use of Coleman replacement parts on the wrong Coleman product, or for non-approved applications, may cause poor product performance and can cause serious personal injury, property damage or death."
- If you are concerned about the proper mantle to use for your Coleman lantern, you may contact Coleman Customer Service at 800-835-3278 or email at email@example.com for clarification on your lantern's model.