A strip loin steak is perfect for grilling whether you use a gas or charcoal grill. Like most steaks, dry cooking is the best method for a tender, juicy cut of meat. The steak can be seasoned or marinated before grilling if desired, but strip loin steak has a wonderful beefy flavor that really needs no additional flavor addition. Once you have the grill going, the steak can be ready in less than twenty minutes.
Things You'll Need
- Charcoal or gas grill
- Non-stick spray
- 1-inch-thick strip loin steak
- Seasonings (optional)
- Barbecue tongs or fork
- Serving platter
Prepare the grill. For gas grills, preheat the grill to medium heat. For charcoal grills, ignite the charcoal and allow it to become hot. Arrange the charcoal so that you have a high heat side and a low heat side inside the grill.
Spray the cooking grid with non-stick spray.
Place the seasoned steaks on the grid and sear the meat on both sides. This will take approximately 2 minutes per side.
Turn the heat down on a gas grill to medium low. On a charcoal grill, move the steaks to the lower heat side.
Cook, covered, in a gas grill for 7 minutes for rare, 8 to 9 minutes for medium and 9 to 10 minutes for well-done. In a charcoal grill, cook for 7 minutes per side for rare, 8 minutes per side for medium and 9 to 10 minutes per side for well done.
Transfer to a serving platter using a barbecue fork or tongs.
Tips & Warnings
- A rare steak will have an internal temperature of 145 degrees F, a medium steak will read internally 160 degrees F and a well-done steak will read 170 degrees F or higher.
- The use of a meat thermometer will ensure that the steaks are cooked just the way you like them.
- If your charcoal grill can be covered, you can reduce the cooking time of strip sirloin steak to the same time as a gas grill.
- If you prefer your steak salted, add the salt after the steak has finished grilling.
How to Cook Whole Boneless Beef Loin
Entertaining is fun. Most of the time you try and keep things simple so you can enjoy our guests and activities. You...
How to Cook New York Beef Loin Steak
The loin yields the most tender and expensive cuts of beef but not the most flavorful. Cuts from the loin require very...
- How to Cook Sirloin Steaks
- How to Grill New York Strip Steaks on a Gas Grill
- How to Grill a Steak on a Stove Top Grill
How to Cook Moose Steaks
Moose steaks are highly nutritious and low in saturated fat. This meat is generally considered more nutritious than domesticated meats. It has...
How to Cook a New York Strip Steak in a Pan
Cut from the strip loin part of a cow, a New York strip steak is one of the larger cuts of steak....
- How to Grill New York Strip Steak
- The Best Way to Tenderize a Sirloin Steak for Grilling
How to Cook Strip Loin
Strip loin, or strip steak, is a tender cut of beef, taken from an area directly behind the ribs of a cow....
How to Cook New York Strip Steak Roasts
The New York strip steak comes from a cut of beef in the loin region. This cut is very tender and lean....
The Best Steaks to Barbecue on the Grill
The charred flavor of deeply-browned meat and the aroma of billowing smoke from the grill are among summertime's greatest joys. Of course,...
How to Marinate a New York Strip Steak for Grilling
The key to getting the best marinated steaks for grilling are to let the steaks soak in the marinade overnight or for...