Recycling old clothes is one way to save money while adding warmth and style to your home. Braided rugs made from old blue jeans can perk up any room in the house by adding a down home country touch. A small denim rug works well as a bathmat while a larger one is perfect beside the bed to shield your feet from a cold wood floor. Braided rugs made from old blue jeans can be hung on the wall as focal points. They are soft underfoot, machine washable, pleasing to look at, durable and easy to create.
Things You'll Need
- Old blue jeans
- Sharp scissors
- Strong thread
- Tapestry needle
What to Do
Lay a pair of blue jeans out flat on a table.
Cut away the seams, pockets and hems.
Cut into long strips between one to two inches wide.
Sew or pin three strips together at the top.
Secure the strips to something to hold them steady for braiding. Putting something heavy on them like the sewing machine works well for this. You can also tie them to something steady like a doorknob or chair back.
Braid the strips, adding more strips as needed to form one long braid.
Wind the braided strips into the shape you want the finished rug to be.
Sew the strips tightly together. This is also known as lacing.
Tips & Warnings
- Use a clothespin to hold the braid together as you work.
- As you wind, secure the braid together with pins or sew the rug together. You can also wait until the end to secure it.
- To make the rug bigger, simply cut and braid more strips.
- Braided rugs can be made from almost any kind of material cut into strips. You can even fashion waterproof braided rugs from plastic shopping bags.
- If you don’t have enough old jeans at home to make the size rug you envision, visit your local thrift shop or ask neighbors and friends to donate their faded jeans.
- Strips that are too long can be difficult to braid.
- Be sure not to sew the outside braid too tightly to the rest of the rug or the rug will not lie flat.
- How to Make Old Jeans Look Cool
How to Make a Blue Jean Rag Rug
A good way to recycle old blue jeans is to make them into a rag rug. Rag rugs make your home look...
How to Make Braided Rugs Using Old Sheets
Braided rugs created from scrap materials and purchased fabrics have covered floors for centuries. Rug makers using this "green" craft have been...
Instructions for Making a Quilt Out of Old Used Jeans
Historically, quilt fabric most often came from cast aside old clothing, so in the modern age of going green, give the old...
Things Made From Old Blue Jeans
Instead of throwing them away, use old blue jeans to create other useful items. Recycling blue jeans for craft projects saves money,...
2 Kinds of Jeans Rugs
If you don't have any old jeans, they can be purchased in thrift stores. Learn how to make a braided rug out...