Mixed drinks, or cocktails, have been a staple at parties, bars and restaurants for more than a century. In the last 25 years, patrons have begun to substitute diet colas as the main mixing ingredient in such concoctions. The popularity of diet sodas is at its zenith. Diet sodas have fewer calories and sugar than their alternatives. When patrons of diet colas go to mix their favorite beverage, it is no surprise that they are using their favorite diet colas. So, next time you are hosting a party make sure to stock the bar with different types of diet soda.
Things You'll Need
- 1.5 oz. of Captain Morgan's spiced rum, Jameson Irish whiskey or Absolut vodka
- 12 oz. can of Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi or Diet Sprite.
- Stirring utensil
- Garnish, such as lime wedge
Fill your 12 oz. cocktail glass to the brim with cubed or crushed ice.
Measure out 1.5 oz. of rum, whiskey or vodka in a liquid measuring cup or use a shot glass and fill it once to the top and then once half way.
Pour liquor into 12 oz. ice filled glass.
Fill remaining area in the 12 oz. glass with diet soda. Pair Captain Morgan's spiced rum with Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke. Pair Jameson Irish whiskey with Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke. Pair Absolut vodka with Diet Sprite.
Stir cocktail with utensil until carbonation appears at the top of the cocktail.
Garnish your cocktail by inserting a lime-wedge on the rim of the glass. To do so cut a full lime into halves, then into quarters, and then into eighths. Take one of the cut limes and cut a line in the center of it perpendicular to your previous cuts. Hang your lime on this last cut to the rim of your glass. It should hang half inside and half outside the rim of your cocktail glass.
Tips & Warnings
- Never use stale diet sodas as a mixer. A stale soda will greatly affect the taste of your cocktail.
- For a more sour tasting cocktail, squeeze the juice from your lime into your drink.
- Alcohol is a depressant and should be treated seriously. Drink slowly and make sure to know your limits.
- Diet mixed drinks hit the bloodstream faster and leave drinkers with a higher BAC level; be aware of this fact when mixing diet sodas and liquor.
- Do not drink alcohol and then drive.
How to Drink Alcohol on a Low-Carb Diet
Some of Dr. Atkins' methods are a bit extreme, but low-carb dieting is still a great way to stay fit and healthy....
How to avoid the 8 worst calorie or fattening drinks
The extremely high amounts of calories that are in the following drinks are staggering in comparison to other types of drinks. If...
How to Make a Low-Calorie Lemonade Rum Drink
Many adults enjoy relaxing with a cocktail and are also conscientious of their weight. Some alcoholic cocktails contain hundreds of calories from...
Some alcoholic drinks that act as aphrodisiacs include chocolate martinis, drinks mixed with pineapple juice and drinks with Sambuca or anisette. Try...