Persistently wet conditions, high moisture and dark and damp areas can quickly lead to yellow mold buildup. Yellow mold can have negative effects on air quality and can do structural damage to wood. To avoid these problems, identify a yellow mold infestation quickly and clean it up immediately.
Things You'll Need
- Mild hand dish washing detergent
- Spray bottle
- Safety goggles
Identify yellow mold. Often, yellow buildup on walls, floors or structures can be mistaken for yellow mold when it is actually something else. Visible mushrooms or thick-fruiting body growth is a telltale sign of severe yellow mold growth. However, other discoloration, such as water damage, pollen, household dust, pet urine, mineral deposits and sprayed foam insulation can often be mistaken for mold. While you can test the surface by attempting to wipe it away with a small amount of bleach, the only way to definitively determine whether a substance is mold or not is to send it to a lab.
Mix a solution of warm water and a bit of mild hand dish washing detergent in a spray bottle. You can also use a solution of 3 parts water and 1 part bleach.
Spray the area with cleaning solution and allow to stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
Scrub the area with a sponge to remove the mold.
Wipe the area clean with a wet rag and dry the surface thoroughly. Discard moldy rags and cleaning material.
Ventilate the area and keep the relative humidity below 55% to prevent future yellow mold accumulation.
Tips & Warnings
- Place one or more dehumidifiers in the room to reduce the relative humidity.
- Another yellow mold, known as "dog vomit slime mold" appears in gardens, particularly on mulch. This yellow mold is not harmful to plants or animals and can be temporarily removed with a hose, garden rake or shovel.
- Always wear protective goggles, gloves and a mask when dealing with mold.
- Testing possible mold samples can be costly. For smaller jobs, it suffices to simply clean it up without testing.
- According to the Center for Disease Control, mold can exacerbate asthma and allergies and cause hay fever-like symptoms.
- Severe yellow mold infestation can weaken wood. You may wish to simply replace a wooden support or structure.
How to Remove Mold From a Wall
Not only is mold growth on the walls of your home unsightly, it can cause undesirable reactions in family members and pets...
How to Get Rid of Mold From Mulch
I thought my dog had been vomiting all over my flower beds when I first saw these bright yellow patches. The dog...
How to Remove Yellow Stains From Wall Panels
Mold, mildew or other staining substances can make yellow stains on your home's wall panels. This often happens when a home floods...
How to Get Mold Out of My House
Mold can appear in a variety of colors, including black, yellow, and green. However, the first sign that your home is infested...
What Is Yellow Mold?
Mold is a variety of fungus that grows in nature and eats organic matter. As a natural part of the cycle of...