Ears can get clogged up for all kinds of reasons, from allergies and congestion to just being an active little kid who does not like having them cleaned. It has to be done, though, because built-up wax can do more than make it hard to hear--it can also cause dizziness, headaches and some loss of balance. One of the best ways to remove ear wax is by using the Debrox Earwax Removal Kit, available without a prescription at most drugstores.
Things You'll Need
- Debrox Ear Wax Removal Kit
- Warm water
- Clean eye-dropper or squeeze-bulb medicine dropper
- Cotton balls or small clean cloth
Fill the applicator, according to the package directions.
Tilt your head away from the affected ear and put two to three drops of Debrox into your ear. Keep your head tilted for at least 5 minutes.
Loosely insert a cotton ball in that ear and wait for 10 to 20 minutes.
Hold your head upright and remove the cotton ball. Hold a small cloth under your ear and gently squeeze a dropper full of warm water into your ear. Tip your head toward the towel to let the warm water and any loosened ear wax drain out.
Repeat as needed, two to three times a day, in both ears, for no more than four days.
Tips & Warnings
- After flushing your ear with warm water, put a folded towel on your pillow and lie on that side for 15 to 20 minutes to let the water and dissolved wax drain out.
- Do not try to remove ear wax with a cotton swab or anything else because you risk just packing the wax in there more tightly. If using Debrox two to three times a day for four days does not solve the problem, see your health care provider.
What Are the Dangers of Using Ear Drops in the Eye?
Placing ear drops in your eye accidentally may burn and sting right away, it can also cause, blurriness, redness and swelling, but...
How to Remove Impacted Ear Wax
People with impacted ears complain of dizziness, feeling that their ears are "full," hearing loss and irritability. Remember that while impacted ears...
How Is Earwax Removed?
Earwax is best removed by a professional who uses an irrigation technique or special instruments that remove the buildup under direct visualization....
Over-the-Counter Ear Drops to Reduce Ringing
Ringing in the ears is a condition called tinnitus. One out of every five people experiences tinnitus at one time or another,...