PH stands for the acid versus alkaline levels that are present in bodily fluids. Since the pH level effects how the body functions in a number of capacities, striving to have balanced levels is optimal. The ideal balance is about a 7 on the pH scale. Anything lower indicates higher acidity, and anything higher indicates a higher alkaline state.
Things You'll Need
- Litmus paper
- Purified or distilled drinking water
- Steady supply of raw fruits and vegetables
- Steady supply of almonds, avocados and olive oil
Test your pH level by wetting litmus paper with your saliva. Before eating, the range should be between 6.4 and 6.8. After eating, it should be about 7.5. Changing your diet is the quickest, most direct way of changing your body's pH level.
Drink plenty of purified or distilled water daily. If it can have alkaline substances in it, which would be added by the manufacturer or supplements purchased at a local health food store, even better. The body's cells require good nutrition to perform necessary bodily functions; one important one is removing harmful waste from the body. Ingesting purified, distilled or alkaline-added water as a regular part of your diet will help neutralize the acid levels in your body.
Change your diet by striving for a ratio of 60 percent to 80 percent alkaline-forming food to 20 percent to 40 percent acid-forming food. Raw green leafy vegetables, especially wheat grass or various sprouts and raw fruits, are the best things to be eating at every meal. Reduce your animal protein intake (most meats) and substitute a healthier protein such as tofu or soy. Almonds, avocados, tomatoes and olive oil are also great additions.
Reduce your stress with daily meditation or other quiet, relaxing activities. Exercising on a regular basis also helps to reduce stress and thus decreases the amount of acid your body produces.
Tips & Warnings
- Remember that your body's pH level will fluctuate throughout the day. You are looking for a healthy range of 6.8 to 7.5 throughout the day, ideally having it closer to 7.0 as much as possible. The idea is to shift your body's pH level by doing what you can to reach that goal. Stay away from processed foods, white sugars and breads, and canned foods, as these are high in their acid-forming. Doing so will allow you to make gradual changes and over time increase your cellular health.
- Don't get too stressed out about your body's pH level: Being stressed is counterproductive. Instead, know you are in control of what you ingest into your body and can make healthier choices when it comes to diet and stress reduction. Always consult your doctor before beginning any exercise program or changing your diet. Each person reacts differently to diet, exercise and environment.
Foods That Raise Body pH
A balanced pH level in the body equals good health. If you are too acidic or too alkaline it opens the body...
How to Change the pH of Soil
A summary of ways to raise and lower soil pH including dolomitic lime to raise pH and sulfur to lower it.
How to Balance the Body's pH Level
According to an abstract entitled "The Measurement of pH--Definition, Standards and Procedures," pH is the measure of "hydrogen ion activity" in the...
How to Raise Body pH Level Quickly
The normal pH of your body ranges from 6.5 to 7.5, which is neutral. PH is a measure of how acidic or...