Understanding how to remove drivers and devices is essential to maintaining control over what’s happening on your PC. If your Windows 8 computer has DameWare, a product that aids in remote computer management, and you no longer want it, use Device Manager to remove DameWare drivers and devices.
In Windows 8.1, Swipe your mouse pointer to the bottom-right corner of your screen to load the Charms menu and then click “Search.”
Enter “Device Manager” in the Search prompt and then click “Device Manager” on the list of search results. You may be prompted to enter your computer’s administrative password at this point to authorize the use of Device Manager.
Click the “+” icon next to the Display Adapters heading to expand that section and select "DameWare Development Driver."
Press “Action” on the main menu and select “Uninstall" to remove the driver.
Click the “+” icon next to the Virtual Smart Card Driver heading to expand that section.
Select “DameWare Smart Card Driver,” click “Action” on the main menu and then select “Uninstall.”
Tips & Warnings
- If you don't see DameWare drivers or devices listed in Device Manager, you may not be able to uninstall them yourself. DameWare is often used in workplaces for remote computer management. It's a tool designed to enable system administrators to access your computer when needed. As such, you may not have the permissions required to remove DameWare from your computer. Contact your system administrator and request that they remove DameWare from your computer.
- You may be prompted to restart your computer after uninstalling drivers. If you are prompted to restart after uninstalling the first driver, do so. After the computer reboots, reopen Task Manager and uninstall the Smart Card Driver. You may be prompted to restart after uninstalling this second driver as well.
- If you use the Development Mirror Driver or Smart Card Driver with a remote computer, you may have to restart the remote computer in order for the drivers to uninstall completely.
- If you’re using a touch-screen Windows 8 device, swipe in from the right side of the screen to open the Charms menu and then tap “Search” to search for Device Manager.
- Photo Credit ellobo1/iStock/Getty Images
How to Disable Start Up Programs
If your computer takes too long to get up and running after you turn it on, there could be too many programs...
How to Use DameWare
DameWare NT Utilities is a powerful remote administration tool, which can be used in a Windows network. This product rolls the Mini...
How to Uninstall DameWare for a Client
DameWare NT Utilities (DNTU) contains the Mini Remote Control and Exporter applications, which are also available as stand-alone products. DNTU supports Active...