Plus-size sex kittens, take note: Pin-up modeling opportunities are out there for you. Whether it's art modeling, or signing with an alternative modeling agency, queen-size women are posing for pin-up photographers and gaining fan interest. To get into pin-up modeling, it's necessary to build up a portfolio, wardrobe and signature pin-up look. After that, all that's left is the legwork of finding jobs and learning the sensual art of pin-up modeling.
Things You'll Need
- Pin-up style makeup
- Retro-style lingerie, including stockings, corsets, garters and heels
Learn how to do pin-up style retro hair and makeup. Because these are two of the signature marks of the pin-up look, it's imperative that they be executed in an obvious, easy-to-recognize fashion. For inspiration, look at modeling icons such as Dita von Teese, Bernie Dexter and Bettie Page.
Assemble a sexy pin-up wardrobe to shoot in. This can include corsets, heels, garter belts, sexy retro dresses and playful costumes. Even the most normal outfits can become something very hot when layered over the right lingerie. Pieces that cinch the waist are especially hot because they create a very waspish figure on the plus-size girl.
Practice facial expressions and poses in a mirror, graduating to sample shots with a friend. Pin-up photography relies a lot on the acting abilities of the model because she is often portraying a part. Pose in ways that emphasize your fuller bust, curvy hips and rounded thighs--don't hide those queenly curves!
Contact pin-up photographers on sites such as Model Mayhem and One Model Place. These are websites with active communities that can give guidance to newer models, while at the same time offering a bit of protection from opportunists who are pretending to be pros. Make sure to proudly emphasize your plus-size measurements, and don't be shy about approaching photographers and expressing interest in their work.
Attend photography networking events that offer the chance to build up portfolio shots for little or no fees. Often, photographers at these events shoot all types of bodies and looks, and know how to light plus-size women to their advantage. These sorts of events are blessings for those who don't want to pay for portfolio pictures, and can lead to work.
Tips & Warnings
- Use your plus-size curves to advantage. Pin-ups are supposed to be curvy and voluptuous, so this is a field that is ripe for queen-size beauties. A bit of persistence will definitely bring positive results.
- Always ask photographers for references and portfolios before setting up a shoot. Some people prey on first-time models by posing as experienced photographers when they're nothing of the sort. Trust your instincts and avoid deals that sound too good to be true. If an agency or person offers to get you pin-up shoots for a fee, run. Legitimate agents and agencies never charge models to find work; they charge the client a fee for booking the job. Fee-charging agencies are usually scams, and should be avoided at all costs.
- How to Find Out What Type of Model You Can Be (Female)
How to Become a Plus Size Webcam Model for Free
Being a webcam model can be financially and personally satisfying. This career path allows you to work from home earning an hourly...
How to Become a Plus Size Model in NYC
Plus-size fashion is a growing business. According to market research firm MINTEL, among women in their early 20s, 8 percent are a...
How to Scale Down to Model Size
Building models is a very common project in the architectural field. Many times, architects will need to build a model to give...
- How to Become a Plus-Size Model Over 35