If you are planning a vacation to India, you will most likely need a tourist visa. Completing all the necessary requirements can be confusing, but it is the first step to a successful trip. Below are some tips to help you get organized.
Things You'll Need
- Valid passport with two or more blank visa pages
- At least two recent, identical passport-size photos in color, front view, with a plain white background
- India tourist visa application form
- Proof of address, such as a photocopy of your driver’s license or utility bill
- Copy of your airline tickets or official flight itinerary
- Copy of your U.S. permanent residence card if you are not a U.S. citizen
- $60 consular fee, plus $13 Travisa service fee for a 6-month multiple-entry tourist visa
How to Apply for a Tourist Visa to India
Book your round-trip ticket to India. A tourist visa allows you to stay in India for a maximum of 6 months. You will need to present a copy of your flight itinerary with your application, so finalize your tickets before submitting the paperwork.
Fill out the Indian tourist visa application form. You can complete a new application online at https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/select-application. Print and sign the application when all the information is filled in.
Prepare all your requirements carefully. A complete list of requirements can be found above and online at https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/guidelines?id=1. The application fees are non-refundable, so if you're missing something, your application will not only be denied, you will lose more than $70.
Submit your application and requirements to the nearest Travisa office. Travisa Outsourcing is an official private contractor to the Indian Embassy and Consulates. It handles all visa requests from inside the U.S. through its offices in Chicago, Houston, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. You can submit your application in person or mail it (along with all the requirements) to the Travisa location nearest you.
Check the visa in your passport. An India Tourist Visa should list your name, the date the visa was issued, the visa’s expiration date, your passport number and the number of entries you are allowed into India for the duration of the visa’s validity. It should also be signed and stamped by the Indian consulate. Make sure all of the information on your visa is correct prior to leaving the U.S.