How to get a Tourist Visa to Thailand


Tourist travel to Thailand is a straightforward matter for many travelers. Nationals of the United States and 41 other countries are exempt from visa requirements if their stay does not exceed 30 days. Nationals of an additional 21 countries may obtain their tourist visa at their port of entry to Thailand. Nationals of all other countries are required to obtain a visa prior to their departure to Thailand.

Things You'll Need

  • Valid passport with an expiration date of six months or more beyond the travel dates
  • Adequate finances for the duration of the stay in Thailand ($500 per person or $1,000 per family)
  • Valid visa if the passport is not from the list of exempt or visa-on-arrival countries.


Check the passport expiration date. If that date is less than six months away, apply for a new passport.

U.S. nationals may obtain passport applications at the nearest post office.

Nationals of other countries must contact their respective embassies or consular offices.


U.S. nationals may travel directly to Thailand. No visa is required. Other nationals should consult the list of exempt countries and visa-on-arrival countries in the Reference section. If their country is on either list, no visa is required.

Nationals of countries not on the exempt or visa-on-arrival list must download and complete the visa application form (see the reference section for the link).

Obtain two passport-size photos (2 by 2 inches). Photos should be taken against a light background. Copies of photos are not acceptable.

Make a copy of all travel documents and obtain a copy of a recent bank statement or provide evidence of sufficient financial resources ($500 per person or $1,000 per family).

Mail all documents to the Thai Embassy using U.S. Postal Service Express Mail or Federal Express. Be sure to include a prepaid, self-addressed Express Mail or Federal Express envelope with the application. The address of the Thai Embassy is:

Royal Thai Embassy Consular Section (visa) Rm.101 1024 Wisconsin Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20007

Tips & Warnings

  • U.S. resident aliens not nationals of exempt or visa-on-arrival countries must include a copy of their resident alien card (green card) with the application.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!